Thursday, December 30, 2010

#7. Telling You I Love You Should Be Easier.

#7. Telling You I Love You Should Be Easier.


I have a secret that no one knows except my chap-stick
My lips hide buried treasure

In the Caribbean lives a parrot named Fredrick
He’s the greeter at a beach bar where sunsets will break your heart
He will direct you to where the map is.
But be careful, he is also in charge of telling patrons where the bathroom is.
Make sure you are clear…

He’ll tell you to take the farmers road east, up into the mountain.
He’ll say look for which way the rainwater drains and where the lizards sunbathe

You may want to leave your sense of direction with him
I promise he’ll take good care of it

You mustn’t leave until the sun drops low and the flash of green squeezes your pupils into ripe star fruits.

The dirt road winds into the rainforest the way my heart winds when I hear my fathers laugh

If you feel completely lost you’re going the right way
You’ll pass a home that treats cows like family
A house made out of leaves
A hog cemetery for drunken pigs
And slide around a cliff side with views that would murder the cynic in you.

When you come to the T in the road on the East side of the night
Where the stars make arrows pointing away from you in every direction
Teasing you to follow them to a different time on earth
And the breeze smells the moment the rain stops on an empty beach, park.

Walk back from where you just came and hang a right under the divi divi tree
If the humidity weights heavy on your skin like the sweat from the first time you gave an orgasm to someone you loved, look down.
If not, you are too young to be looking for the map to my secret.
The path should sparkle with crushed sea air from thousands of years of pirates singing and swinging from the masts of ships darting about the ocean aimlessly looking for trouble.
Leap over the constellations of shells until you come to a chorus line of stubborn bamboo,
Sit down.
Sit deep.
Sit still.
Anchor your hips to the earth.
Wait until the moon is directly over your skull
Her beams will illuminate a map painted on the bamboo with Dr. Pepper flavored Chap-Stick.
Copy it down and inhale the 23 flavors of my mouth.
You are on your way to resting within the pleats of my smile’s coat
I yearn for your success and I bid you god speed.

1 comment:

  1. YOU LOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh god. no fair. my blood is moving very fast. so many cheetahs chasing my veins down.

    When you come to the T in the road on the East side of the night
    Where the stars make arrows pointing away from you in every direction
    Teasing you to follow them to a different time on earth
    And the breeze smells the moment the rain stops on an empty beach, park.
    -the humor! the confidence! the knowing! it's sexy. it's just sexy sexy poetry.

    Sit deep.
    Sit still.
    Anchor your hips to the earth.
    -YES. MA'AM. this is the yoga you, the godly you, the you that knows what your body can make.

    Copy it down and inhale the 23 flavors of my mouth.
    -delicious, you hot ice cream parlour.

    god this poem makes me think bad thoughts. you're fucking rad.

    ReplyDelete