Friday, December 24, 2010

#4 Grin

Grin

If you smiled any wider
Tectonic plates would shift
Volcanoes would erupt with cherry blossoms
And cover the world in petals
Like tears from a geisha

I shrink to the size of an uncut blade of grass
Carrying a staple remover, I jump on your arm while you’re sleeping
Bound up your biceps and scale your ear
Tempted to snuggle in the peach fuzz
When I clamber to your face I want to lie on it
Forever kissing each freckle like a child who believes they can count the stars in a single night
But I am here with a mission
I position the staple remover next to your eyes and steal the lines that appear when you smile.
I fold them on their crease and race back to myself
Full size and overflowing with excitement I unfold the tiny pleats in the palm of my hand
They smell like bliss
I squeeze my hands into fists as tight as I can
Fusing them into my palms
You’re laugh lines inside my lifeline.

If you smiled any wider
The moon would come closer
Snow wouldn’t fall but float static until you touched it
my hands would bleed blood oranges
And we would make mimosas.

1 comment:

  1. best thing you've ever written.

    Volcanoes would erupt with cherry blossoms
    And cover the world in petals
    Like tears from a geisha
    -the imagery is getting bigger, you're loving it more

    Forever kissing each freckle like a child who believes they can count the stars in a single night
    -you romantic! go towards it! yes!

    If you smiled any wider
    The moon would come closer
    Snow wouldn’t fall but float static until you touched it
    my hands would bleed blood oranges
    And we would make mimosas.
    -holy ending!!! ashley this is so gorgeous. the structure, the execution... bliss, girl. bliss. thank you.

    ReplyDelete