Monday, October 5, 2009

I have a dream(s)

Eating chocolate covered espresso beans and drinking almond milk, I’ve started to notice the stress bubbling up on my chin and cheeks. In the background a Jimi Hendrix Woodstock DVD flashes like old neon.
I think I want to grow an Afro.
I am convinced that percussion and the wail of an electric guitar can warm my heart even if I am having a great day. In this documentary Hendrix is about 26 years old and here I am 24 and I believe we have the same amount of acne.

Some people wish they could be younger. Be my guest, you can start with my skin.
The humidity of the fabulous east coast used to take a told on my skin, or so I thought. I believe the dry climate of LA has actually worsened it. Though some days my face is as clear as Whitney Houston’s drug addiction. I don’t want to hear about that Proactive shit either. It worked for me in high school but my skin was so dry I could have shed my whole face.

Do you ever see someone from across a bar, someone you’re super attracted to, have him or her walk up to you with acne/scars/blackheads/whiteheads/twoheads and immediately feel that they have bad hygiene? I probably would. Yet, I may be that person you approach. Lets take this moment to decide to judge people not by their pores of their skin but by the content of their character.

Judge me because I am a super independent 24-year-old female who thinks that she can save the world by recycling and driving a Toyota Prius. Fuck I love that car. Does it make me a bad person that I grew up with American made automobiles, a Ford Mustang, and Chevy Camaro, and in this great recession, I drive a foreign car? I went from American Muscle (insert macho grunting sound) to the silent, life saving, Toyota Chop-Stick.

Judge me because I will raise money for an animal cause, human rights, human trafficking, starvation or the YMCA before I will donate any money to AIDS, Cancer or any type of “sickness” cause. Because I believe if you read more than you watch TV and leave this country you can find better ways to deal with sickness. “Ew what a bitch!” – “yea but she drives a Prius”

Judge me because I was born and raised in the dirty dirty New Jersey and I don’t like Bruce Springsteen. Oh, but give me some Jon Bon Jovi and I will flip my hair like Marissa Tomei in “The Wrestler.” Wow. Unintentional 2ndNew Jersey reference. I have never been embarrassed to be from New Jersey. Come on! Sinatra, Meryl Streep, Queen Latifa, Yogi Berra, DMX, Danny Devito, Tom Cruise… well, Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment